I had just decided that I was going to stick it out for my last two months at my apartment because, as Ryan pointed out to me, I'm going to be working two jobs and it might be a bit stressful to move at the same time. I mean, I've dealt with everything for the past ten months...what's another two? However, today presented a new annoyance and that is what made me change my mind.
Last night I bought some yogurt (four little cups), a box of granola and some bananas so I could have them for my breakfast this morning. This morning I opened one of the cups of yogurt, opened the box of granola and put it in the fridge (so ants wouldn't get to it) and opened my package of bananas and left those on top of the fridge. I ate my breakfast, showered and went to work at IIE.
After work I got some lunch at an Uzbek restaurant, paid my rent for my motorbike, got it tuned up and came back home. I wanted to make myself some coffee so I opened my fridge only to find that my bananas had been placed inside (no big deal), and my box of granola was completely open and that I only had two yogurt cups left! One of the cleaning ladies ate one of my yogurts and possibly some of my granola too! Granted, it's only yogurt and it's only granola, but it's MY yogurt and MY granola and they ate them! I stormed downstairs and tried to explain to my landlady what had happened, but she barely understands English so she just kind of waved it off.
Immediately I went on the New Hanoian (an expat community website for people living in Hanoi) to go through some of the responses to the posting I had put up last week and called one of them and set up an appointment to see the apartment within an hour.
The apartment is, ironically, around the corner from where Ryan used to live. It's actually more like a room in someone's home. The couple who owns the home have two children studying at university in Canada and one of them happened to be there and was able to answer all of my questions. It's $200 which is $130 less than what I pay now and it's closer to Language Link. I told them that I would begin to move in next Thursday.
I felt so great leaving that place knowing that I won't have to live in my crappy guesthouse another month! As soon as I got home I started cleaning, throwing things away, and grabbing books, dvds and clothes to give out to people at work.
The only downfall is that I won't be down the street from my favorite pho place anymore, but I think that I can deal.
2 comments:
Sorry, I didn't man to eat your food. It's just that I was so hungry when I was cleaning your place. Please don't move. I enjoy reading your books and mail when I am there. Now, I won't have that pleasure anymore.
man = mean
Post a Comment