Friday, May 30, 2008

Thank You Rain Gods

I wrote this one from the King Cafe across the street from my hotel while I was waiting for my 90 cent bowl of steaming fried noodles with veggies:

I just had such an exhilarating experience! Oh sweet, merciful blessed Hanoian downpour - oh, how you break the humidity and make the air drastically cooler!

My last class ended at 9pm and when I left the school I waved over a xe om driver. When I stepped outside it was only drizzling, but the more we rode on the more the rain seemed to pour.

While the xe om driver and I were sitting at a railroad crossing waiting for a train to pass I glanced at the other drivers around us smartly clad in long hooded ponchos and I couldn't help but bear this stupid grin on my face. I was drenched, yes, but I was cold! I was so thankful and happy to be COLD! The xe om driver and I laughed hysterically as the rain came down harder and harder knowing that I was getting soaked to the bone and we laughed even more so when we rode underneath an awning dripping with rain like a waterfall right on my head.

No comments: